Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What's In a Name?

What's in a name? That which we call a rose and blah blah blah... I was told on arrival that many of my younger students would not have English names, but apparently no one, regardless of age, had an English name. This left the job to me. I feel a little guilty making students choose a new name, I hated SeƱora Nelson for making me change mine from "Briel" to "Beatriz" for no reason other than to drive me loca. The problem is that the Chinese students have really long names that I could probably pronounce and learn if I had a lot of time to practice. However, with 250+ students and a need to learn their names in a timely manner, English names were necessary.

Many Chinese people use names that aren't really names. There is a widespread belief that nouns and adjectives work perfectly well as English appellations. I allowed my students to choose whatever they desired, but I felt like the names I suggested had to appear with some kind of regularity in the English speaking world. I wanted my kids to choose outlandish names for my own personal enjoyment, but I felt too guilty not to suggest names like "Bob and Jane." I have a Lily, a Tim/Tom/Jim, and an Angela in every class.

However, I still got those few creative types who reached out beyond my "List of English Names" and plucked names out of who knows where. The best part is that many students originally chose more common names like Billy or Ben and then all of a sudden started signing their homework "Sea" and "CHR Rotford." Also, some of these spellings are so confusing. I have to spend some time next week sorting out how to hand back an assignment with names like Janme (who I learned today is actually "Tommy"), Faino, and Luarry. Note: I am not making fun of these names in any way, I think they're awesome. Plus, it is much easier to remember someone named "Shine" than remembering seven different boys all named Andy. Meet my students...

Oven. I really thought he wanted the name Owen, but he insists that he prefers Oven even after I explained that an oven is a kitchen appliance.

Penguin. Awesome name, but he has trouble spelling it so I often get Penguni or Pinguen instead.

Hill and Granger sit next to each other in my Senior I class and I love their names.

Tears. She later changed it to Jenny, which made me sad. So sad, in fact, I cried. I cried tears.

Sniper. As an easily distracted Junior II, I often must yell "Sniper! Over here!" in class. So if you are ever sitting in during my class, do not be alarmed. Sniper is just his name.

Angle. He insisted...



One boy wanted to be named Shamu.
I think that one was a communication
issue on my side.


Grubby. Told him what it meant, swears it's his chosen name.

James. You're probably thinking: James, not such an unusual name! James! James is a girl. With my Grinnell education weighing on my mind I felt guilty telling her that James is a boy's name but I finally broke down and told her. She adamantly INSISTED that James is a girl's name. She was so insistent that I thought, whatever James. Be James. Mary, Be James (ha! for all my Grinnellian readers) (which is probably 0) (I probably don't have any readers who aren't my family) (hashtag lame) (hashtag is this a hashtag #?) (hashtag I've always wondered if that's a hashtag, I thought it was called the "pound" symbol) (hashtag off topic)

Hobo, of Hobo and his e-dog fame; the very confusing characters from their textbook.

Lucky Star. Cute.

Casin. Not sure about this one... but his English is phenomenal!

Fly. Love it.

Kite. Creative!

Rain and Rainbow (two boys) always sit next to each other in my Senior I class.

I've got Animal, Snake, and Cat in my Junior I 5 class.

Haniel and Luvian. Where... what... why...

Winner. Good choice to promote name-personality associations.

Frike. Funny story about Frike. Let me set the scene: first day of class. I am still unsure of myself as a teacher and self-conscious as a foreigner. In the middle of class, this boy came up to me and handed me a piece of gum. I had learned in my TEFL training that if a student gives you a gift in front of other students, it may mean that he is trying to show the class that he is in charge, so I declined. He insisted. I kept declining. Finally, I took the damn piece of gum and shoved it in my purse. "No, teacher, it's my name." Ohhh. His name is gum. What? I asked him, "your name is gum?" He said yes. I told him to go sit down. Of course, he would not. "Eat it now." "No thank you." "Eat it now." "No. Sit." He then produced a piece of actual gum from his back pocket. I finally understood that there was no gum in the wrapper he had given me. I unwrapped the stick of gum and after sorting through the papers that fluttered onto my desk, I finally found a single paper that said: Frike. "Your name is Frike?" He nodded. I sighed. "Frike, go sit down." THE END (of that story.)


Oh Frike, what will I do with you?

Sophie also has some great names in her classes, and since we switch next semester I will have those students as well. Students like Maxim Testaron, Goldust (a boy, which I think makes it better), Big Show, and Carlos. Yes, Carlos. Looking forward to it!

By the way, teaching is going really well. The younger students are really enthusiastic. I feel like I am even getting through to some of the kids who don't speak any English. I love walking to class because from every direction I hear, "Hi Ms. Brie! Hi Ms. Brie!" My favorite part of the week is when a boy in my Junior I class  yells "NOOOOO!" at the end of my class period. The older students are starting to learn that my class is all about volunteering and speaking up, which also makes them more enthusiastic during lessons. We did a class on extended family and I played the song "I'm My Own Grandpa," which they thought was hysterical. 

China Doll is kicking ass and LEARNING names!

1 comment:

  1. This is too funny! We were all laughing so hard we could barely breathe! Sounds like you are having an amazing experience. We're keeping up with your blog regularly but just figured out how to comment.

    ReplyDelete