Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Trip to Wuxi

In mid-November, Sophie and I had off for a week while the students took their midterm exams. I decided to visit friends I met while getting TEFL trained, who all live in the city of Wuxi (two hours away on the slow, cheap train.) My trip was really fun, but most importantly, it was relaxing. Wuxi isn't a huge tourist city, but they do have a few famous attractions, one of which I visited, called Lake Tai.

My journey there was a bit disturbing. Since I was taking the super cheap train, the quality of the actual locomotive was questionably falling apart. Plus I happened to be sitting with a large family with lots of children (I assume they are all cousins, one child policy and all) and, despite the fact that anyone who knows me knows how much I LOVE children, these kids were disgusting. They were grimy. And they were wiping their food-ridden snot-infested hands all over me and my bag. Plus, the baby with the special strategically cut baby pants peed right near my feet. Twice. It was an unpleasant two hours.

However, once I arrived it was quite fun. We went to a great restaurant for dinner and afterward we had quite the late night at their clubbing district. Plus, since I didn't know a living soul in Wuxi other than my friends, I gathered all my courage and sang "Sitting on the Dock of a Bay" at the bar karaoke night.

Right before I went onstage to sing (Thanks for the photo, Spencer!)

Spencer, Chris and me with some... new friends, I suppose
We spent the next day at Tai Lake, which was really stunning. Kelly, who I also met at the TEFL training, joined us, along with one of her coworkers. With autumnal reds and oranges plus a gorgeous sunset, I think a barrage of my bad photography is necessary.

 Lake Tai
 The group starting our walk
Yellow flowers
Went swimming here, obviously
 The colors were so beautiful!
Scenic view (spot the pagoda!)
Definitely one of the best views of the walk (behind us, of course)
This photo does not really following the tenets of photography (I think there are too many subjects in this picture or whatever) but I like how you can see the gate, the boat, and the bride and groom taking professional wedding photos.
Cool outfit, cooler music.
Awesome view.

The sun was starting to set.

Spencer enjoying the great outdoors.
 A view from in between the rocks.

Walking along the rocks (photo courtesy of Kelly)
Tree studded walk.
 A final view of the lake.
My favorite picture of the weekend.

All in all it was a great trip. I needed to visit a place where I wouldn't feel pressure to see every temple, every mountain, every sight. I'm glad I had a relaxing trip to Wuxi.

That weekend when I was back in Nanjing, I also went to the hot springs with a few friends. Yan is from a suburb of Nanjing where there are many hot springs, and therefore many hot spring resorts, and it was a really relaxing way to end my week.

The group at sunset

Liz and me at the mud baths
Next up, Thanksgiving and Hanukkah in China, what were they like? China doll, back on track (for now)!

No comments:

Post a Comment