Thursday, January 10, 2013

China Doll Hosts!

This past weekend, some friends I met while being TEFL trained in Hefei came to visit Nanjing. Not only was it fun to see these friends (especially because Nanjing seems like a ghost town right now without all the young college students and the teachers who went home for the holidays) but it felt really good to show people around Nanjing.

Their visit made me realize how well I know the city. I was able to find them a decently nice hostel because I always see signs for it on the way to my dance class. I was able to show them shortcuts and cool alleyways while we walked around the city. I was able to show them where to hike up Purple Mountain, and what restaurants to go to. I even know what bars and clubs to take them to, an accomplishment considering how not cool and hip I am... (as evidenced by my use of the words "cool" and "hip.")

I really love this city, and it was so exciting to show it to other people. My mom showed me an article from the NY Times travel section about Nanjing: In Nanjing, China, Art and Youth Help a City Recover from Its Tragic Past. Nothing could be truer. Nanjing is amazing because of its vast history (former capital, location on the Yangtze, etc.) and because of the energy and excitement the young people (and expats, for that matter) bring to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment