Saturday, September 28, 2013

China Moment 一

I love China moments. And lucky me, I get to have them pretty often.

For example, today I lost my scarf. It's not really chilly enough to wear scarves yet, but when I'm riding my bike my neck sometimes gets cold. It was an awesome, brightly colored scarf with "Dia de los Muertos" style skulls all over. I bought it last year at the Hankouxi Lu Night Market. I must have dropped it while I was walking (bike in tow) with visitors from Shanghai, my mom's college friend Joan and her two kids, Kyra and Cullen.

I checked around the cafe where we were, but I think I must have dropped it before then. I was bummed. And my neck was cold. So on my way back, I happened to bike past that very night market where I bought my scarf one year earlier. A stall with tons of scarves caught my eye, so I pulled over. I picked out one of the only scarves that wasn't covered in fake Louis Vuitton logos or crazy hot pink Hello Kitty patterns and asked how much it was.

26 RMB. That's approximately $4USD. "Can you make it cheaper?" I asked her. She suggested 24 RMB. I suggested 18 RMB. We settled on 20.

So I walked away with my new $3 scarf. I put it on right away, and my neck was nice and toasty. I actually think this scarf is softer, prettier, and matches my coat better than the skull one did anyway...

It wasn't really a China moment specifically, but it was definitely some kind of moment. The moments that make me smile. The moments I want to remember because they're so short and sweet but I often don't. Walkin' away with a super cheap, really beautiful scarf that I bought on a lark, on my way home.


Here, China Doll demonstrates two extremely fashionable ways of displaying her new scarf.





Which is better? China Doll... fashion extraordinaire...

No comments:

Post a Comment